FTB-Pros.com
Main Forum

Thaumcraft Guide!

4 replies
71 posts
+2 votes
(Currently a WIP)
Thaumcraft, a Wonderful mod that makes alot of new things happen in MC, One of which, the most important, is Vis.

Vis is also known as "Magic". The area that the current amount of Vis is in is known as the Aura.

There are many types of Auras, each one is slightly Unique.

Normal Nodes. These nodes look like normal clouds of blue and pink/purple colors in the sky, and will have Black lightning jolting from it. They are the most common out of the 4 node types.

Pure Nodes. These look like Normal nodes, except they wont have the "Black Lightning" that is generated from them, instead, they will have a golden Star Shimmer in the center which characterizes its Pureness, These are rare, but can be made through the use of Silverwood Trees. They also have a property to naturally dispel Flux

Unstable nodes. These nodes are about as rare as Pure nodes, but are not as good.. These are the bad side of pure nodes. They will naturally produce Flux, and can be identified by the Spiral in the center of the node. Wisps will naturally spawn here.

Dark Nodes: These are the ones you want to avoid at all costs. They will spew large amounts of flux, non stop. They are hard to miss since they look like black holes. If you see one of these, Contact a high ranking Thaumaturge or try to contain and/or destroy it.

Dead Zones. These are naturally spawning areas that have NO AURA. they will not have any natural vis, and trying to make one into one that has vis can be quite a challenge. I do not advise living here if you like thaumcraft.

Besides these auras, there are many added mobs.. most of which will kill you.

Angry zombies. Looks alot like normal zombies, except they look angry (otherwords, eyes are red) They drop Zombie brains

Wisps. These appear as Fairy's from The Legend of Zelda series (round ball fairies) And will drop Wispy Essences based on their attribute.

Firebats: These look like normal bats.. BUT THEIR NOT! They are red, and will have fire particles behind them. killing them will drop gun powder.

Golems: These are made from the player to do things based on their material.

Wizards: These are a new type of villager in thaumcraft. These can be used to farm Knowledge Fragments..

Now back to the important stuff. To start your Adventure into Thaumurgy, you're gonna need 2 things. An Apprentice wand and a Bookshelf.

"But fox, what is an Apprentice wand? thats not in NEI"

The apprentice wand, or Wand of the Apprentice, is made with a Vis shard (of any kind, except dull, i think) An-

"Fox, you didnt tell us what a Vis shard is!"

Keith. shut up.

Anyways.. The Appre-

"But Fox!"

OK OK FOR GODS SAKE

A vis shard is found naturally in the area underground, easily found in caves and ravines. They will appear like
This: Show

This is the Utmost importance in thaumcraft Since this, with a stick and Golden nugget is needed to make a Wand of the Apprentice.

Now, After you get an Apprentice wand an book case. you'll need to place the book case and right click with you're wand. You will get a Thauminominom... Thauminocercon... Thauminomerhnoasnd.. *looks at wiki* Thauminomicon. This Thauminomicon will show you the very first thing you'll need to make to expand your thaumcraft research.. A Research table!

"But fox, how is thi-"

/mute keith 2000

Anyways, to make the research table, you need 2 tables and a Scribing tool, made from an empty bottle, Inksac, and Feather. The tables are made with 2 planks and 3 wooden slabs. After making this, you can start researching into thaumcraft with ease.

Also, you'll need an Arcane Workbench, which is made with right clicking a table with a wand.

*Note, wands contain vis and will drain vis from the aura.
Minor Side notes: Show

Part 2: Advanced Thaumaturgy

After gaining knowledge of thaumcraft, mainly alchemy and flux and stuff, you'll be able to make more advanced items, Like the ****************** (Secret Secret) Research. Now, one of the most important is knowing the Crystal Core Research, Expecially if you plan on moving your aura with you... Know, Crystal cores are one of the, if not, THE hardest thing you'll have to make, since it requires 4 wind shards, 4 water shards, 4 fire shards, 4 earth shards, 4 vis shards, made into 4 mixed clusters, then a Nether Star to make into a crystal core, However, once it is placed, it cannot be moved, and when broken, will only drop the base parts, as in the 20 shards adn the nether star, however, there is a chance you will receive Dull shards instead of a normal shard...

Dull shards, are rare shards that are void of vis. They can naturally spawn if an aura has been depleted and must recharge, but there is not nearby auras to siphon, and will siphon it from the imbued stone in its aura...

*Secret knowledge*

You can Grow a pure node through a long, painfully slow process (unless you have a hoe of growth and alot of thaumium) By planting and moving a pure node till it gets to 100, then growing silverwood trees inside (as said before, pure nodes can be made from silverwood trees) And with this, you can basically destroy Dark nodes, which are the Worst of nodes..
You wanna help me out? CLICK THIS LINK :d
Posted Sep 30, 13 · OP · Last edited Sep 30, 13 by Foxkittfyre
10 posts
0 votes
This is gonna help me once its done! Thanks!
Posted Sep 30, 13
49 posts
0 votes
Quote:
Dead Zones. These are naturally spawning areas that have NO AURA. they will not have any natural vis, and trying to make one into one that has vis can be quite a challenge. I do not advise living here if you like thaumcraft.
It's not too hard to fix this. You just have to find the nearest node, then grow silverwood trees over and over again to create pure nodes to expand into the dead zone.

Also FYI there's been some glitches causing aura nodes to despawn, so dead zones might be more common than they should be.
Posted Sep 30, 13
xRIMPx [Shadow]
10 posts
+1 votes
Any word on the obsidian structures that these nodes seem to surround? I happened to place my house to right in front of one. Also great guide, will be looking into since most the nodes like to attack me.
Posted Sep 30, 13
49 posts
0 votes
wrote:
Any word on the obsidian structures that these nodes seem to surround? I happened to place my house to right in front of one. Also great guide, will be looking into since most the nodes like to attack me.
A single obsidian totem typically has a normal node above it. A circle of obsidian totems has a wisp spawner underneath the chest, and has an unstable node above it. Unstable nodes generate flux, which spawns more wisps and is generally bad. You can mostly contain an unstable node by building a cage around it in order to trap the wisps it spawns.

Note, however, this server has been having bugs causing nodes to despawn/reset, so the unstable node that used to be there may be gone.
Posted Oct 3, 13 · Last edited Oct 3, 13 by Strill
Top Posters
217 Posts
194 Posts
164 Posts
jsimmons10 [Supreme][Shadow]
85 Posts
Sniper_2357 [Owner]
75 Posts
73 Posts
YnotMizuka [Admin][Supreme]
73 Posts